Every year I read this list, and every year it makes me feel more and more ancient…
“Each August since 1998, Beloit College has released the Beloit College Mindset List, providing a look at the cultural touchstones that shape the lives of students entering college this fall. The creation of Beloit’s former Public Affairs Director Ron Nief and Keefer Professor of the Humanities Tom McBride, it was originally created as a reminder to faculty to be aware of dated references, and quickly became a catalog of the rapidly changing worldview of each new generation.”
Here are a few classics from this years list:
- Ferris Bueller and Sloane Peterson could be their parents.
- “Don’t touch that dial!”….what dial?
- Refer to LBJ, and they might assume you’re talking about LeBron James.
- John Wayne Bobbitt has always slept with one eye open.
- Yadda, yadda, yadda” has always come in handy to make long stories short.
- Sears has never sold anything out of a Big Book that could also serve as a doorstop.
- Public schools have always made space available for advertising.
- They’ve always wanted to be like Shaq or Kobe: Michael Who?
- Frasier, Sam, Woody and Rebecca have never Cheerfully frequented a bar in Boston during primetime.
For the complete list and the list from years past